Subject: RE: More than you.. suggestion
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/15/1997 11:12:55
On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Gunnar Helliesen wrote:

> One thing I'd like to see was having disklabel be able to find out a
> disk's geometry and write a default label like on Digital Unix (OSF/1).
>
> On that system, 'disklabel -rw <disk> <type>' will write a label to any
> disk, even if there is no label on the disk from before. Note that you
> can specify anything for <type>, if you enter a valid name from the
> /etc/disktab file then that entry is used. If not, disklabel probes the
> drive for geometry and calculates "reasonable" partitions. When that's
> done you can run 'disklabel -e' and modify the partitions to your
> liking.
>
> Maybe this scheme isn't possible on IDE drives, but it should be
> possible to implement on SCSI drives?

I think that'd be great. Though it'll work for IDE's also as you can get
the geometry from the drive on relatively new ones.

Also, I like the idea of, if there's an MBR NetBSD partition, the default
c partition is that MBR partition. It was mentioned earlier in the tread,
and it sounds good. :-)

Take care,

Bill