Subject: None
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Bill Squier <groo@guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/14/1997 16:48:22
In message <199708141818.LAA25277@Pescadero.DSG.Stanford.EDU>, Jonathan Stone w
rites:
>Bill, one more experiment: can you try your original
>almost-dedicated-disk setup again:
>	<UNUSED>
>	The data for partition 3 is:
>	sysid 165 (NetBSD or 386BSD)
>	    start 1, size 1425311 (695 MB), flag 80
>	        beg: cylinder    0, head   0, sector  2
>	        end: cylinder  706, head  31, sector 63

That results in the BIOS claiming "Operating system not found", and pfdisk.exe
claiming that the magic number in the MBR is corrupt.  However, according
to fdisk (under 1.2G), the MBR looks the same as it did before the
disklabel/installboot.

By the way, even with an oc#2, I got the "Erase previous contents of disk"
the first time I tried the label.  Subsequent attempts (using the install
script, and telling it the NetBSD portion was 1425310 sectors long at
offset 2) didn't seem to produce the message.  The disklabels generated were
the same (I think... I'll check it)

Hmm, after checking they are the same, but both have the 'd' partition as
od#0.  Of course, the working config (with an entire cyl unused) also has
the 'd' partition as the whole disk.

Pushing the NetBSD partition to 63 sectors works.  I'll binary search it down
to an exact minimum if you want.

Note:  I did these tests by booting 1.2G, typing "shell" at the first prompt,
using fdisk to set the partitions, and then running "install", specifying
everything in sectors to the script.

-wps