Subject: Re: More than you ever wanted to know about P4D-66s...
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/14/1997 21:09:31
> Here's a suggestion to avoid these problems: Change disklabel's idea
> of the `source of truth' to be the MBR, not the operator.

I disagree, it should do what I want.
1.2 install is almost perfect for me. I can see only possible improvement:
give operator default start and length of NetBSD portion of disk, if
there is NetBSD fdisk partition already defined (but don't force
the operator to use them! ).

> Before Perry's SSTO bootfloppy (applause) there wasn't space for much
> in the way of install tools. In that world it made sense for the i386
> disklabel to do whatever the operator said.
>
> That leaves a lot of space to make mistakes: IMHO, it leaves too much
> space for multi-boot installations.
>
> Now we have more flexibliity in the install tools, it should be
> possible to change disklabel so that it implicitly beleives whatever
> is in the MBR, and doesn't default to overriding that with wih values
> from the given disklabel.
> The installation instructions would say that dedicated installation
> should use fdisk to zap out all MBR partitions, and then reboot
> and restart.
>
> If we need to leave space for OS-BS or installboot, the fake-disklabel
> code should allocate that space in its faked-up disklabel (for empty

I hate computer lying to me.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,