Subject: None
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/14/1997 11:18:41
>Bill Squier writes:
>> Thanks again for all your help.  Since the machine is still in a
>> scratch state, I'd be happy to run further experiments to satisfy
>> curiosities.

>If you could, that would be of help. I'd like to fix a bunch of these
>problems once and for all, and your help on this would be invaluable.

I've run head-on into similar problems installing NetBSD onto SCSI
disks that already had Linux installed -- on at least 3 occasions.
Fixing this gets a vote of thanks from me.  Thanks, Perry!

Bill, one more experiment: can you try your original
almost-dedicated-disk setup again:
	<UNUSED>
	The data for partition 3 is:
	sysid 165 (NetBSD or 386BSD)
	    start 1, size 1425311 (695 MB), flag 80
	        beg: cylinder    0, head   0, sector  2
	        end: cylinder  706, head  31, sector 63

But this time, try specifying oc#2 in your disklabel.
That might work.

If not, I've found that leaving one track free (instead of an entire
cylinder) works.