Subject: Saga of the Gateway P4D-66 continues....
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Squier <groo@guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1997 20:43:51
Machine is:
	Gateway 2000 P4D-66 (Aries non-integrated PCI motherboard)
	83MHz Pentium Overdrive
	PhoenixBIOS (4.04.6, just upgraded to latest available)

Boot drive is:
	WDC Caviar 2700 (730MB, cyl 1416, head 16, s/t 63)
	That info is also printed on the drive itself
	pfdisk claims: cyl 707, head 32, s/t 63

I'm trying to get NetBSD installed on the whole 730MB.  I have no need for
DOS/Windows on this machine.  I've tried both geometries (BIOS and WDC
reported 1416/16/63 as well as pfdisk's 707/32/63) through the NetBSD
installation script with no success.

I've tried offsetting the NetBSD portion of the disk by 63 sectors and
using os-bs.

I've tried limiting wd0a to <500MB (ie, <1023 cyls).

Nearly all configurations end with the bootblock code printing "Read error"
immediately after restart.  Using a floppy boot disk, and specifying
"wd(0,a)/netbsd" works fine.

When offsetting and using os-bs, I would usually receive the message
"No operating system" when attempting to boot the NetBSD partition.
Occassionally, depending on the exact drive partitioning and disklabeling,
os-bs would enter into an infinite loop attempting to load NetBSD.

I've tried it with LBA mode "Disabled" and "Enabled".  I considered
specifying pfdisk's claims in the CMOS setup, but it won't let me enter
"32" heads.  It sounds fishy to me anyway.

I've tried 1.2G bootblocks (2.0beta2).  Same result.

It really looks like somehow the secondary boot program is _NOT_ getting
written where it's supposed to.  If I snag the source, is it easy enough to
build custom floppy bootblocks which make "wd(0,a)/netbsd" the default?

The last choice is that I am a complete and utter idiot (a distinct
possibility).  Feel free to provide "instructions tailored for the criminaly
insane".

Thanks again for your help and patience.

-wps