Subject: Re: i386 Install won't boot ABANDONED
To: D. J. Vanecek <djv@bedford.net>
From: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasquatch.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1997 13:18:10

> 	1) Linux installs better because it accepts the DOS view of
> 	things. This is true on IDE machines with this stupid LBA scheme.
>
> 	2) BSD installs better on old junk (386SX... I've gotten it up
> 	on a 40MB IDE and on a 80MB MFM, with NFS /usr's no sweat,
> 	both first time successes). Linux choked and croaked on these
> 	boxes. (Not enough mem, "bus errors", blah blah. Also Linux
> 	doesn't support BAD144 forwarding on clunky old MFM/ESDI drives.)
> 	NetBSD is running like a champion on this old "useless" hardware.
> 	BSD seems to get "tricky" on middle-aged junk. Don't know about
> 	modern junk. "Modern" around here means 486/33.

We just built a Pentium Pro 200 with 256 megs of memory, booting off
a 1.7 gig Eide drive, with 3 4.3gig ULTRA WIDE SCSI drives attached to
a Adaptec 2940UW, all juiced together using ccd. It took a few hours
getting the right combination of BIOS settings / drive translation for
the Eide to behave. The second machine we built (in the same day,) used
the same Eide drive, but a different motherboard. I got the drive setup
in about 35 minutes, dual booting, triple booting if you count the boot
from a floppy option.

NetBSD is a little "geekier" but the results are worth it.

Here is our main server:

Sixty eight days uptime. No memory leaks. On 1.2.1..

Jeff

Suspended
 1:15PM  up 68 days,  5:07, 7 users, load averages: 0.12, 0.24, 0.23
USER    TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
joshe    00 -                 1:06PM     0
smichael 02 -                 1:08PM     7 -pppd
yukiko   p0 yukiko           Thu09PM  1:05 tf ns 8888
yukiko   p1 yukiko           Thu10PM    48 -tcsh
jen      p2 mail.cruzio.com   1:15PM     0 tf
jeffo    p4 nicholette       11:08AM     0 w
michael  p5 michael           1:08PM     3 tf ns 8888