Subject: Re: i386 Install won't boot
To: Ronald Khoo <ronald@demon.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1997 12:12:50
On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Ronald Khoo wrote:

> > It sounds like I should be doing the entire installation manually, yes?
>
> No, I don't think so.  The only thing is to pre-prepare the drive
> by partitioning DOS partitions with a DOS fdisk, and using pfdisk
> to set the bsd partition id (165), and most importantly, to tell
> you what geometry to tell the netbsd installation script.  Don't
> use what the kernel tells you.  Use what pfdisk tells you.

It depends on what's doing the translation. Is it in the BIOS, or is it in
drivers which load VERY early on in boot?

I had no end of problems with OnTrack (I think that was the package). It
installed a translation which only worked under DOS. So if I used pfdisk &
fdisk from the hard disk, they were dealing with a different partition
table than was raw NetBSD.  Basicly the whole silly drive that dos saw was
one partition in the disk's partition table, under OnTrack's control.

If you have this setup, you'll need to throw out disk translation all
together. Though if you keep the DOS partition, and NetBSD's a partition
(with the boot blocks and the kernel) within the first 500 MB, it'll all
boot fine.

If the BIOS is doing the translation itself, then never mind.

One way to tell is to make a boot DOS floppy and run fdisk & pfdisk from
it.

Take care,

Bill