Subject: Re: i386 Install won't boot
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: D. J. Vanecek <djv@bedford.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1997 11:10:41

> > Do BSD install.
> > 	I)  tell install script "LBA" params (620/64/63).
> > 	Tell install script, offset of BSD is "3 cylinders".
>
> Or should that be 2 cylinders? as in first partition starts at 1, next
> one at 1 +2 ?

If first partition is 2 cylinders in *size*, and dos fdisk and pfdisk
agree that it occupies cyls numbered 1 and 2, then second partion
starts at cylinder 3, which is offset 3 from beginning of disk. Or
should I forget about cylinder 0? Thought that was why we counted from
zero, anyway: offset = count. Well, I'm perfectly willing to try
a fractional offset :)

> > Question: *where does label go*? Should my offsets, "where BSD starts",
> > be increased??
>
> at the beginning of the first bsd partition. I must say this all

Sector zero?

> sounds rather complicated to me as I have an entire ide disk dedicated
> to bsd and didn't have to worry about any sort of translation. As far
> as I understand, translation is only necessary if you are trying to
> coexist with a DOS partition. This made life easy as the disk just
> contains bsd partitions, and the first partition in the disklabel can
> simply have an offset of 0. The procedure was just to disklabel it
> with the real geometry and newfs it and write bootblocks to it.

That didn't work, in any of about thirty variations.

Thanks for your help... I'll start a series of trials where
offset = 2.

DV
--
   "But the power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy, except in
   those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous."