Subject: Re: i386 Install won't boot
To: None <djv@bedford.net>
From: Ronald Khoo <ronald@demon.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1997 08:13:49
> > Probably a problem with drive translation. It can help to put a 2 or
> > 3 meg dos partition on the disk and then use pfdisk to set the disk
> > geometery and put a netbsd partition on thr rest of the disk at the
> > right offset.

I concur.  That's always cured the problem for me :-)

> Right, and it looks like the install procedure is trashing the partition
> table, too.

Aha.  This is often a symptom of translation problems, the "disc label
doesn't stick" problem where you write the label somewhere and it
disappears, because the geometry is changed, so the label actually
moved.

> It sounds like I should be doing the entire installation manually, yes?

No, I don't think so.  The only thing is to pre-prepare the drive
by partitioning DOS partitions with a DOS fdisk, and using pfdisk
to set the bsd partition id (165), and most importantly, to tell
you what geometry to tell the netbsd installation script.  Don't
use what the kernel tells you.  Use what pfdisk tells you.

--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@demon.net> Voice: +44 181 371 1000 Fax: +44 181 371 1150