Subject: Re: i386 Install won't boot
To: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasquatch.com>
From: D. J. Vanecek <djv@bedford.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1997 02:19:33

> Hi,
>
> Probably a problem with drive translation. It can help to put a 2 or
> 3 meg dos partition on the disk and then use pfdisk to set the disk
> geometery and put a netbsd partition on thr rest of the disk at the
> right offset. then just use a boot manager to point at the different
> partitions. The problem is ide and enhanced ide disk are to much of
> a "Shape_shifter" and the boot code  misses the bootstrap binaries.

Right, and it looks like the install procedure is trashing the partition
table, too.

It sounds like I should be doing the entire installation manually, yes?
Can't re-write the disklabel from the script? Must label ahead of time
with pfdisk?

Thanks, Jeff, I'll probably proceed by hand... I have two more days
to devote to this, then it's on to pmax...

DV