Subject: Re: com lossage
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/11/1997 09:44:34
On Sun, Aug 10, 1997 at 01:31:48PM -0500, Dave Huang wrote:

> I don't know about a software fix, but I "fixed" the problem by getting a
> serial card with a 16650 UART (a TCOM 4-port card... www.byterunner.com
> sells a couple of versions, with 1 to 8 ports). I have a patch that
> turns on automatic hardware flow control on 16650s, which lets me run two
> 115Kbaud ports on my 386 (and occasionally two 57Kbaud ports) without any
> overruns. Throughput does suffer if the machine is loaded down too much,
> but it's much better than losing characters and the other end having to
> backoff and retry.

I've been meaning to add support for the 16650 for a while now, but never
got my hands on such a beast. I have heard that earlier versions of the 16650
have a broken FIFO (familiar story.. did they copy the 16550 too closely?),
so I would like to test some with that. I think I should be able to do
that soon.

- Frank