Subject: com lossage
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/08/1997 22:13:21
I recently ugraded our router (an 8M 386DX25 w/ 16550a) from 1.2B+one
rev of com patches to 1.2G as of the 4th.  I was hoping that as a side
effect, com performance would get a little better (I wasn't able to run
the ISDN at 64K before because 115K on the com port would lose a lot, so
I had the ISDN and DTE rate at 56K). Instead, it got worse -- more silo
overflows, more lossage.  At the worst I've seen Ierrs on ppp0
increasing at >10% that of Ipkts.  This really kills tcp and
especially web browsing, since the servers back off a lot.  In fact,
it's behaving as badly at 56/56 as the patches 1.2B did at 64/115.

BTW, While working on the 386 machine, I temporarily had a 486DX100
running the ISDN (and same sup date), and it still lost a little at
64/115...

Is there anything I can do about this? Should I just give up
and buy an ESP? (and if so, from where?)