Subject: Strangeness in pentium-II machine?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alexis Rosen <alexis@panix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/08/1997 07:14:31
I've got a machine running 1.2G from about a week ago. It's a Triton-II
motherboard with a 166MHz cyrix, and it works just fine with a Buslogics
adapter and SCSI disks.

Last night I tried to pull out the boot disk and run it on a new motherboard
from AIR with a 233MHz Pentium-II and built-in Adaptec 7880.

With 128MB in the P-II, the machine crashes into the debugger as soon as
the configuration phase is over. This isn't a huge surprise- I think the
kernel wants EXTMEM defined. No problem, I can do that, though I was under
the vague impression that that wasn't necessary any longer...

What's more puzzling is the behavior of the machine with only 64MB installed.
When the kernel is first detecting and configuring devices, it sees the
built-in adaptec, but then (unlike the case with 128MB installed) it says
"not configured" and of course it doesn't attach the scsi drive. Eventually
I get asked for a root device, and I'm stuck.

I'm planning on building a kernel with EXTMEM defined, but I'm curious:
what's wrong with only 64MB? Does anyone know what's causing this?

Thanks,
/a

---
Alexis Rosen   Owner/Sysadmin,
PANIX Public Access Unix & Internet, NYC.
alexis@panix.com