Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 processor recommendation
To: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
From: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/07/1997 12:44:56
In Message <21169.870955421@time.cdrom.com> ,
   "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:

=>>    As for AMD K6 stability, I've been using the K6-200 with an
=>> FIC PA-2011 motherboard (VIA Apollo VP2 chipset, AMI BIOS) and
=>> things have gone pretty well. I've noticed a little strangeness
=>> when doing builds where the compiler dies with some internal error
=>> in the middle, but I'm uncertain as to the cause. A restart of the
=>
=>Yikes!  That would raise a 50-foot red flag for me, actually.
=>Unless you're certain it's the cache or memory, I'd be very
=>concerned indeed at this.
=>
=>					Jordan

   True. But it is hard to know where to look. I haven't tried it with
another CPU, the cache is on the motherboard, and the RAM is 64MB of
SDRAM. And I haven't seen anything else die. It should be cooled well
enough: it is an ATX motherboard in an ATX case with the cpu fan and
an extra case fan. I'll have to come up with some other CPU-intensive
tasks to run to see if I can get them to fail.

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computing Arts