Subject: Re: Out of memory? -- hard to believe, honestly
To: Peter Simons <simons@cys.de>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/07/1997 14:59:36
On Thu, Aug 07, 1997 at 02:44:16PM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the hint. ulimit did in fact fix the problem.
>
> Does anyone have an idea where I can change these values in the kernel
> so that I can pose larger limits on all running processes easily?

They are in sys/arch/i386/include/vmparam.h. But instead of changing
them there, you can also override them in your kernel config file.

The defines in question are:

DFLDSIZ  (initial data size limit)
MAXDSIZ  (max data size)
DFLSSIZ  (initial stack size limit)
MAXSSIZ  (max stack size)

Btw, after 1.2, the values were raised considerably to get them up to
'modern' standards. The datasize limits went from 16M/256M to 128M/1G.

- Frank