Subject: Re: 1.0 -> 1.2.1 upgrade
To: Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/06/1997 16:39:41
Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com> writes:

 >I've just upgraded an old 1.0 machine to 1.2.1 using the standard boot
 >disk and upgrade disks.

[snip]

 >The only clue I have is that when I went to investigate the routing table,
 >I saw this:
 >
 >netstat: no namelist

I bet you installed the INSTALL or INSTOTHER kernel off the boot
floppy onto the root of your newly-installed system.  1.2.1 predates
the SSTO boot; the INSTALL and INSTOTHER kernels have all symbols
stripped away, to help them fit onto a floppy.

Newer snapshots (since about 1.2C or 1.2D) have an install floppy and
bootblocks which allow compressed kenrnels with a full symbol table.
Since you're running 1.2.1, the best thing is to install a 1.2.1
GENERIC kernel. The installation notes should mention that step.