Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 processor recommendation
To: None <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU, michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/06/1997 12:19:56
   >  So would this make the P5 compare that much better to a P6, or is the P6
   >  still the way to go?

No, we all said P6.

In fact, we all seem to be in violent agreement here, although discussing the
fine points has been fun. But to summarize:

	P6 at any clock rate beats P5 on all but one narrow category
	P6 at 150 MHz is an unbeatable value, but if you have the money,
		you can go faster, or just overclock
	K6 is a P6-class performer, but disturbing reports are in
		regarding initial problems and reliability
	MMX is pointless
		(except for Intel, it brings them $ from uneducated consumers)

So go buy a P6 at whatever clock rate you want.

The only thing we didn't all completely agree on is the importance of
bus speed...

Ross Harvey	Avalon Computer Systems, Inc.		  ross@teraflop.com
		Santa Barbara	 		    http://www.teraflop.com