Subject: elink3 and ssto weirdness
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Carl S Shapiro <cshapiro@sparky.ic.sunysb.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/06/1997 10:33:45
I have been trying to get the 1.2G snapshot installed on a number of
machines with 3Com network cards (both ISA 3c509 and PCI 3c590 cards)
that use the ep driver.

I am able to boot off of the SSTO floppy and the ep driver successfully
probles my ethernet card.  I am able to configure the interface and
ping various parts of my network.  However, if I try to ping the
interface, I get error after the first ICMP response that says
something to the extent of "failed to clear cached route".  I still
able to get out onto the wire, but the machine panics when start an ftp
session in order to pull over the distribution sets (I never get as far
as being able to do a "get (file)", usually dies when I am ls'ing
around).

I have gotten the exact same results with a several 386 25's and 486's
that have 3c509's in addition to a couple of Pentiums with 3c590's.  I
do not suffer from these problems when using the 1.2.1 boot disks, nor
does this problem occur if I boot off of the 1.2.1 disks, and then
install the 1.2G snapshot and boot a 1.2G generic kernel off the hard
disk.

Carl