Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 processor recommendation
To: Jeff Northon <jeffo@ns.sasquatch.com>
From: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasquatch.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/05/1997 21:32:36
> >In general, I would agree with this.  My Pentium Pro (clocked to
> >233MHz) absolutely smokes anything else I've used, PC-based.

We made the jump from a 486 - 66 on an EISA bus to a PPro 150
($182 for the CPU) and a PCI motherboard with a 2940 UW on the
motherboard. The 486 would get a little behind on moo checkpoints and the
load averages would get a little high (10-11-ish). Now the PPro just
doesn't have enough to do!

>    Actually, the problems I've had with the K6 are not related to the
> voltage regulator. The part is on an "approved" motherboard and began to
> show flakiness after about 2 weeks of operation. It appears to have
> developed a sensitivity to heat; high quality heat sinks (including
> Peltier Effect) help, but don't get rid of the problem entirely.
> Other people have reported similar problems. This might be a problem
> only with early chips - I've not heard of problems with the newest of
> the parts.

There is nothing finer than an extra fan or two inside the case pointed
at what ever gets hot. I can get large heatsinks with ball bearing fans
for $9.95, I junk the sleave bearing fans and apply a bit of thermal
grease under the heatsink to keep the CPU from having a bad day. It was
over 105 here in Ben Lomond today...

Jeff Northon
jeffo@sasquatch.com