Subject: NetBSD/i386 processor recommendation
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/05/1997 20:36:45
    I apologize for the slightly off-topic post, but since my machine
primarily runs NetBSD I thought I'd look for suggestions from people on
this newsgroup.  Since it is off topic, I'd prefer people respond to me
personally, and I can follow up if anybody else is interested.

    I'm currently running NetBSD on a 486DX4/100, and was quite happy
with that system.  However, I feel it's about time to spend the money
and get something a bit newer...  =)  With the current prices, I'm
looking to go either with a Pentium (Classic) at 200MHz, or a Pentium
Pro at 150MHz.  My understanding is that the P6 does not handle 16 bit
code very well, but I would guess that NetBSD is all 32-bit code.  Is
this correct?  Would one processor be much better than the other?  (I
don't know just how much better the PPro is with 32-bit code.  Would it
make up for the 25% speed difference?)  I would likely go with an ASUS
motherboard for either one, the 430HX-based T2P4 for the Pentium, or the
440FX-based P6NP5 for the Pentium Pro (if that makes any difference).
I've heard that the Pentium motherboard works fairly well overclocked,
so I have considered doing as high as 250MHz on the Pentium board (if my
PCI cards would tolerate it).  Likewise if the P6-150 is stable at 166
or 180, I'd be likely to push for the higher speed.  I realize that
especially at the overclocked speeds the P5 motherboard's bus frequency
would be considerably higher than the P6 motherboard, so memory accesses
and such would be faster regardless of the actual processor clock speed.

    BTW, I assume there would be no point in considering a MMX Pentium
for NetBSD, correct?  Are there any performance enhancements to the
general processor, or is the presence of the MMX functions the only
difference?

    I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions or comments anybody has.
Thank you in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.RES.CMU.EDU
talk:  finger for online status   | http://warpdrive.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/