Subject: Re: Problems installing i386 1.2.1 -- EHPL!!...uh, HELP!!
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com (Segmentation Violation. Core>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/29/1997 11:26:01
Segmentation Violation. Core dumped. writes:
> Mike Long sez:
> /*
>  * >Where's my mouse; do I need to configure it to find the mouse on the
>  * >eisa
>  * >port...?
>  *
>  * What kind of mouse do you have?  If it's not a serial mouse, you
>  * probably need to use one of the pms(4), lms(4), or mms(4) drivers.
>  */
>
> I thought it was a serial mouse, but there's no config line for it,

Serial mice have no config lines! They are just serial devices!

> and makedev insists upon making a symlink for /dev/mouse to one of
> mms, lms or pms; besides I have lms[01] and mms[01] in there.

a) You don't want lms or mms in if you have a serial mouse. They won't
   cause harm, but they do no good.

b) You don't use /dev/mouse as your mouse if you have a serial mouse!
   If its in /dev/tty00, tell XFree86 that its in /dev/tty00!

> I must just be _really_ braindead/spoiled by SPARCdom.  Sorry to be
> such a pain;

Its okay. Intel sucks.

> but where should it find a serial mouse if it detects that?

It won't "detect" it -- its just there...

> I only have pms[01] left to find.

PMS is only for real genuine PS/2 style mouse connector connected
mice...

Perry