Subject: Re: Problems installing i386 1.2.1 -- EHPL!!...uh, HELP!!
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Segmentation Violation. Core dumped. <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/29/1997 07:45:03
Jonathan Stone sez:
/*
 *
 * No, it's  saying that
 *
 * 	ep0	at isa? port ? irq ?
 *
 * wires down and eats up the device ep0.  After seeing that line,
 * /usr/sbin/config knows ep0 cant go anywhere else.  When it sees
 * 	ep*	at eisa? slot ?
 * 	ep*	at pci? dev ? function ?
 *
 * config knows that ep0 is taken, so it starts the wild-carded (aka
 * cloning) devices at ep1.  Examine ioconf.c, and all will be revealed.
 */

But I'm still confuzzled, here, because when I built a kernel with
wildcarded stuff on isa it panicked with a "cloning devices not supported
on isa0" or something like that.

My question is:  do I have an eisa bus that's masquerading as an ISA,
or are all the devices attached to my PCI bus being read as ISA?

Hence my original question of "ep1 says it's attached to an isa port;
is it lying?"

				--*greywolf;
--
Friends don't let friends use Windows NT.