Subject: Re: apm hangs my system
To: der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/26/1997 10:05:56
> > For what it's worth, i'm considering changing the license, and have
> > been for a while at core's request.
>
> Considering?  _Considering_?!?  If I discovered _I'd_ committed
> something core found unacceptable, I would have rolled the commits back
> out as soon as I found out!

(1) as has been noted many times, CORE APPROVED THE WORDING THAT IS
THERE NOW, and later backed out on that approval.

(2) changing wording like this isn't something that happens in one
day, or even one week, and (since there are a lot of people who need
to agree and OK to something) often not even one month.  It took a
long time to get something reasonable agreed with the license that's
there _now_.

(3) I'm not going to back out the code; what's there is acceptable to
me.

(4) Core has known all along that:

	(a) as managers of the source tree, they're free to keep
	    and/or back out whatever changes they wish, and

	(b) I have no vested interest in making sure that the code
	    stays in NetBSD.  While I'd like the code to stay in, and
	    while taking it out will effectively cut alpha users off
	    at the knees (which is another reason that I will not
	    peronally take it out), I'm not going to bitch and moan
	    and gnash my teeth if they take it out.  (However, _I_
	    will not put it back in, and I won't rewrite it to replace
	    the taken-out version.)

> Friend,

BZZT, try again.

> I'm trying really really hard to believe you care about NetBSD.

To be quite honest, I don't give a damn _what_ you believe.  It's not
my purpose in life to justify myself to you.

As someone who founded the project, and has contributed more to it in
time, money, expertise, and care than you ever have or probably ever
_would_ (if you could), your statements sound a bit hollow to me.

> As for trying to start a flame war...no.  I was trying to stir up
> outrage, [ ... ]

Did you actually type that with a straight face?

> > That kind of behaviour wastes my time, and certainly doesn't
> > predispose me to doing anything that you would find helpful, at all,
> > ever.
>
> This strikes me as a threat, "don't rock the boat or I'll drag my feet
> even more on this".

Think about it this way:

	Time in the day = T

	Time at work = W

	Time doing wetware things (e.g. sleeping, eating) = X

	Time to spend on getting moved to the west coast, etc. = Y

	Time to spend doing non-computer-related things = Z

	Time spent on things like actually _resolving_ the license
	issue so that there are no losers = A

	Time spent developing software = B

	Time spent on flame wars incited by you = C

A + B + C + W + X + Y + Z = T

That's not a threat, it's pure common sense.  I'm sorry, I don't view
computers as more important to my life than "other things," including
but not limited to going out to have a beer with friends, sleeping,
taking care of arrangements for my new house.

As for the "predisposed" part: If I feel that I can make progress on
an issue, i'll do it.  It's impossible to make progress on this issue
while people are running around flaming about it.  Also, if I feel
that people are unjustly or unfairly demanding something of me or
harassing me about an issue, I'm not inclined to increase my time
available to do it.  That is, i'm not inclined to decrease Z or
increase A, B, or C to help them (depending on what they want).  I
don't owe people my time, and people who act like they are owed it get
none.  This is whim, really, but it follow from "don't treat people
you want something from like shit."  Common sense.

Here I am, 10AM Sunday morning responding to this thread.  This time,
plus a little bit this evening, comprise all that is "A + B + C" for
me today.  I'm going to try to get a little bit work done around my
(new) house (Y), then i'm going to go out, drink a beer or two (Z),
and hopefully see the Pirates beat the Giants (again, just like I did
last night; Z).  You've wasted about a third of the time i planned to
look at NetBSD-related stuff today, _and_ have cut into time that I
needed for other things.

cgd