Subject: Re: apm hangs my system
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/26/1997 12:59:15
>>> For what it's worth, i'm considering changing the license, and have
>>> been for a while at core's request.
>> Considering?  _Considering_?!?  If I discovered _I'd_ committed
>> something core found unacceptable, I would have rolled the commits
>> back out as soon as I found out!

> 1. Core accepted the first license.

True or false, this doesn't really affect my point: it's been over a
month since it was clear that the license in the tree was unacceptable.
Neither cgd nor core has rolled back the commits, nor explained why
not, what is being done and when we can expect the problem to be fixed
by, *nothing*.

I also don't know what your "the first license" is referring to.  In
this morning's sup, sys/arch/alpha/alpha/pmap.old.c contains an old
timestamp in its $NetBSD$ header, over three months old:

/* $NetBSD: pmap.old.c,v 1.18 1997/04/10 23:36:19 cgd Exp $ */

I have mechanically compared (diff -u) the first 70 lines of this file
(70 lines being approximately the size of the license) with the first
70 lines of three other new-cgd-license files in that directory and
with the first 70 lines of sys/dev/pci/pci.c from the same sup.  The
differences are all trivial: the $NetBSD$ lines differ, the last line
or two often differs (since 70 lines usually includes a line or two
after the license), and in the case of pci.c, the copyright notice is
split onto two lines in one file and is all on one line in the other;
the two-line version lists more years than the other.

The text of the license is bit-for-bit identical between the version
committed 1997-04-10 (unless someone has explicitly forged timestamps)
and the pci.c file I was referring to.

> 2. You don't know what happened after the first flame war happend so
>    don't speculate without knowing all facts.

As far as I can tell, nothing happened; certainly as of this morning's
sup, the license was still in the distributed source tree.  If frantic
scurrying around is - or was - going on behind the scenes, everyone
involved is choosing - or chose - to keep it quiet; in such
circumstances, I feel entirely unapologetic about not knowing about it.

_Especially_ since nothing I was complaining about is affected by
whatever may or may not have happened behind the scenes!  Everything
I've been upset about here is public behavior.

I would also like to point out that _you_ are equally guilty of
speculation without knowing the facts; you don't know what I do or
don't know about what's happened.  I _have_ corresponded with various
people privately; I don't know what relation what the claims I've heard
bears to the truth...but unless _you_ are core, or cgd in disguise,
that's all you have to go on either: what you've been told.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca