Subject: Re: FreeBSD X server on NetBSD?
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/24/1997 23:09:59
 > Are you sure? From the init(8) man page on a FreeBSD 2.2.1 box:
 >
 >      The kernel runs with four different levels of security.  Any superuser
 >      process can raise the security level, but only init can lower it.  The
 >      security levels are:

I don't know exactly what is implemented in FreeBSD secure
level's. The one I'm sure is that FreeBSD never forbid direct access
to the framebuffer using mmap(). FreeBSD (and Linux) don't need an
aperture driver for that.

Most modern VGA boards (in particular those made by Matrox) require
linear access to the framebuffer for the Xserver.

					Matthieu