Subject: re: 1.2G problem...
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/24/1997 02:34:50
On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 19:18:03 +1000 (EST),
   Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au> writes:

>I've got two 3com 3c900 pci network cards installed, along with a 2940UW
>and matrox millenium.  problem being PCI doesn't want to allocate an IRQ
>under 9 to anything so the 2940 and a 3com are conflicting...

This sucks rocks. I've had similar-sounding problems with
two 3c595s, and on machines with a 10/100 Ethernet card and gigabit
NICs.

The kludge I used is to BIOS-disable either the second serial port,
the parallel port, any soundcard, or some or all of the above.  With
enough free IRQs under 9, an Award BIOS (not my choice).

Is the sharing problem with the Adaptec?  I have a machine here which
seem to share two IRQs between two NICS quite happily.  I have
dc21140-based Ethernet in in now sharing an IRQ with a gigabit NIC,
 but a couple of months ago it had a 3c595 and that seemed to work
okay, modulo defining _LOSING_COMPILER.

hope that helps, if not we can discuss any if_ep problems offline.