Subject: Re: Netscape Communicator 4.01Beta6
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/1997 13:38:11
Matthias Scheler wrote:

> 	Hi,
>
> because the BSDI version of Netscape 3.01 always worked very stable for
> me I downloaded "communicator-v401b6-export.x86-bsdi-bsd2.tar.gz" two
> days ago. While trying it out I got lots of crashes on sites using
> Java or JavaScript. When I talked to a friend of mine using the same
> version under Linux he told me that he didn't have such problems so
> far. So I downloaded the Linux version and indeed it works reliable
> so far.
>
> Has anybody made the same observations? What about the other BSDI
> version (for BSDI 1.x?)? Does it work reliable?

I just had a go with the same tar.gz file, NOMID and COMPAT_43 (thanks
Matthias - vreg works) in the kernel and get

quartz% ls -l netscape
-r-xr-xr-x  1 2549  10  8810496 Jul  1 15:59 netscape
quartz% file netscape
netscape: BSD/OS i386 compact demand paged executable
quartz% gdb netscape
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for
details.
GDB 4.11 (i386-netbsd), Copyright 1993 Free Software Foundation,
Inc...
(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/share/netscape/netscape

Program received signal SIGSYS (12), Bad system call
0x7718c5 in ?? ()
(gdb)

Cheers,

 Patrick