Subject: Re: HAYES ESP
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/14/1997 08:14:02
Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com drunkenly mumbled...

> Are you sure you made the kernel you built the kernel you booted from
> after building it? :-)

i've been through several kernel rebuilds already! :)

> You should very clearly see a line saying the ESP was found:
>
> Apr 21 21:46:51 MindBender /netbsd: com0 at isa0 port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 9: ESP, 1024 byte fifo

i remember seeing this once, a long time ago, while booting a GENERIC floppy.
but i can't seem to get it back.

> Apr 21 21:46:51 MindBender /netbsd: com1 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo

this is how the kernel recognizes the ESP right now.

btw: on another note, it's time i need someone to help me out again.  my netBSD
system has taken to a very unhealthy state.  when i made the switch from -1.2
to -1.2.1 i skipped setting the makeoptions=-g in the config file.  now i
can't even get a kernel built without a panic.  i'd do a GENERIC->rebuild->
custom but i can't afford the downtime on that machine.

thanks,

-brian

--
** Brian Hechinger ** wonko@mail.arkham.net ** http://www.arkham.net **