Subject: Re: NFS fragile?
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/13/1997 22:59:11
Dave Burgess wrote:

> Mine did the same things, except the server is a P100 and the client is
> a 386/40.  The error message and the network card are (oddly) precisely
> the same.
>
> > Jul 12 22:49:40 zen /netbsd: ed0: warning - receiver ring buffer overrun
> > Jul 12 22:49:40 zen /netbsd: ed0: warning - receiver ring buffer overrun
> > Jul 12 22:50:20 zen last message repeated 3 times
> >
> The system with the 8003 is wedged on my end.  Same symptoms as yours.

> Since I'm seeing exactly the same problem, but on the slow machine, I
> doubt it is actually NFS.  My guess would be a recent change to the 8003
> code, since that is actually the only thing the two set-ups seem to have
> in common.

FWIW, if this is the old 8bit card I sent you ages back (e.g. a "Lattisnet"
card, not true 10BaseT), you can configure it for 32K of shared RAM.
Then you need to change the iosiz parameter on the ed0 line.
Somelike "iosiz 32768" I believe.  I don't have docs for one of those
cards handy, but I believe you change 2 or 3 jumpers to enable 32K mode.
I have used these cards with 32K of shared RAM, and they were able to keep
up with my other hardware. (at that time - almost 3 years ago now?)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.