Subject: Cyrix 6x86-166+ problems (?)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/1997 22:12:28
Hi,

a while ago a friend of mine reported problems getting 1.2.1 to
work on a Cyrix-based box.  Recently I had the "pleasure" of
trying to install NetBSD-current (1.2G) as of less than a week
ago on a system claiming to have a 6x86-P166+ CPU at 133MHz.
It's a system with 3 IDE disks, 2 SCSI disks on an Adaptec 1542
and a PCI bus.  As far as I know the bus-dma updated adaptec
driver should be included in this kernel.

Depending on how I set up the BIOS (particularly the caching
options), I may be able to boot from the floppy.  (With the
"wrong" combinations I typically end up with "exec: short read".)
What appears to work best is "internal cache:on, external: off".
However, the machine has a 3c595 on the PCI bus, and once I try
to use it (e.g. add a default route after ifconfig'ing it up),
the machine crashes with "Fatal page fault in supervisor mode".

I have verified that the boot floppy works Just Fine on a pure
486sx25 system.

Although I've not completely ruled out "bad floppy drive" as the
source of the problems, I thought that two similar reports of
problems with newer Cyrix CPUs was worrying, and I'd like to know
if anyone else have similar experiences and/or if the newer Cyrix
CPUs work fine in other systems.  (The friend mentioned above is
currently on vacation and off-line, so I've not been able to
confirm the exact details concerning his problems.)

Regards,

- H=E5vard