Subject: Re: Using pfdisk and rawrite on an NT system
To: der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/1997 11:38:46
> > My question is about installing NetBSD.  Can I run pfdisk and rawrite
> > on NT, or do I need to go out and buy a copy of MS-DOS?

pfdisk does not work (NT 4.0).  The NT Disk Administrator program does not
appear to know how to create partitions of a type other than FAT or NTFS.
(Grrrr.)  rawrite does work, however.  (I'm running it right now.)

> _Can_ you go out and buy a copy of MS-DOS?  I thought Microsoft wasn't
> selling MS-DOS any longer.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing copies of 6.22 for sale next to W95 in
CompUSA, but that may have been a while ago.  There are probably surplus
places with copies still in stock.  (You can also pay umpteen hundreds of
dollars to MickeySoft and become a MicroSoft Drone Network member and get
copies of NT, W95, MSDOS 6 *and* 6.22, not to mention the CD of the month
club...)