Subject: 1.2F (Jun08) on 1.2.1... ?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/1997 23:15:18
I'm installing NetBSD on my new P166...

I used the 1.2.1 install floppies as that's the latest I have.

I suspect there is something wrong with the ethernet card (WD/NE2000
clone) as despite being jumperd for 300,10 one of the pre-set configs,
when NetBSD probes it, it says that kernel irq 10 != board irq 9.
Interestingly, when I had it set for 280,2 the kernel said the
opposite - kernel irq 9 != board irq 10 :-)

Anyway, to try and get something happening I built a kernel on my 486
(running 1.2F kernel, 1.2D user land) for it, which would try both
combinations... after more than an hour compiling :-) I tried booting
the kernel.

Just as I was trying to read the results of the ed* probes, the
machine reset itself.  Its repeatable - I _think_ it was at about the
time it wanted to change the root fs to sd0a but the screen clears so
I can't be sure.

Btw, neither ed* probe worked so I suspect the card is faulty.

Do I need a later init to work with a 1.2D+ kernel?

I'll try another card and I'll try downloading Perry's recent
snapshot... Since I've not heard of a code freeze for 1.3, I'll assume
that's still some time away.

--sjg