Subject: Re: XFree86 3.3, NetBSD 1.2G, Matrox Millennium Config Problem
To: Jim Bernard <jbernard@tater.mines.edu>
From: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/1997 08:34:10
In Message <19970704060216.01354@zoo.bernard.org> ,
   Jim Bernard <jbernard@tater.mines.edu> wrote:

=>On 7 3, Gary D. Duzan wrote:
=>>
=>>    I just upgraded my system (basically everything except the disks),
=>> compiled XFree86 3.3 from source, ran xf86config, and got this:
=>>
=>> --
=>[snip]
=>>
=>> Fatal server error:
=>> xf86MapVidMem: Address 0xffefc000 outside allowable range
=>
=>  I just ran into this a couple of days ago--the server apparently needs
=>linear framebuffer access (as far as I can tell, this is not documented),
=>so you'll need either to use the aperture driver (which doesn't seem to be
=>included anywhere in the set of precompiled binaries--is it available with
=>the source?) or add "options INSECURE" to your kernel config and rebuild
=>the kernel.  The latter, of course, means you take the risks associated
=>with running with securelevel=-1.

   Silly me. Somehow I managed to have INSECURE configured into my
kernel but securelevel=1 (probably meant securelevel=-1) in my
rc.local. Fixed rc.local and all is well.
   Thanks.

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computing Arts