Subject: Re: Changing NetBSD's partition ID from 0xa5 (was: NetBSD and FreeBSD co-existing)
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/29/1997 17:09:27
In some mail I received from Perry E. Metzger, sie wrote

> Darren Reed writes:
> > Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question, but why does the partition
> > ID for NetBSD need to change ?
>
> It hasn't been decided to do this for sure, but the rationale is that
> there are other operating systems out there (like FreeBSD) that use
> the same partition ID, making it hard to co-exist with them on the
> same drive for people who run both.

Hmmm.  I wonder what the integration problems will be if it does change ?
Does implementing "disk slices" for NetBSD help the situation ?  Under
FreeBSD I have used 2 BSD slices on the same disk and have been able to
access both.

I'm concerned that changing the ID will break the ability to "cross-mount"
partitions - for example, I use the swap partitions from both OS's in
both and also mount (read-only) the other OS as /freebsd or /netbsd for
reference purposes.  I also imagine it could break other things too...

Also, the -current boot loader is broken for NetBSD (if you don't say "boot
wd1:" when booting from a second HD, the kernel will load from wd1 but
NetBSD will say "root on wd0a" if there is a BSD partition on wd0).  Well,
the 1.2 boot loader worked, anyway.

Darren