Subject: Re: How to recover from a partition deletion?
To: None <danielh@uol.com.br>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/1997 14:11:28
On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 danielh@uol.com.br wrote:

> 	I have rewritten the var partition of my hard drive thinking in using it
> as a msdos partition. I know this ot usual but I was trying to use that
> partition to mount a Msdos partition that i have in my hard drive, too.
>         But the problem is that the NetBSD is not booting and I have to use the
> single user mode to access the shell. But I don't know how to recover the var
> partition again. The var partition is wd0f and i don't know the exact length and
> offset variables.

You have a problem.

Why were you re-writing partition f? Why not just add an additional
partition and put the msdos stuff there?

Things might not be lost. Did you use up all of your BSD slice, or have a
g partition? Basically the c partition's supposed to be all of your BSD
slice. Your f partition, if made by the installer, should start just after
the e partition, and end just before the g partition. If you didn't have a
g partition but filled up the BSD slice, then the f partition ends at the
end of c partition.

You should be able to do the math from there.

Take care,

Bill