Subject: Re: Changing NetBSD's partition ID from 0xa5
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/1997 18:10:33
> 167 is, sadly, used by NeXTStep.

Yes, I knew that (at least I did after my initial choice of it when os-bs
identified it as a NextStep partition).  But for now I'm just trying to
see what needs to be done.  Once I figure that out, I can choose any
unused number (I'm assuming here that programs like os-bs don't do any
special handling when they see certain partition ID's)

> I suggest looking at my new fdisk.c table to find an empty one.

I'll do that.

> I also suggest that, if you are going to go throught the trouble of
> all of this, that you hack all the code so it takes EITHER MBR type --

That would be my eventual goal -- again, for now, I'm just trying to
see if I can make it work with a different id.

> Oh, and on looking for uses of the old type, I suggest looking at
> machine/disklabel.h to get an idea of the type number #defines that it
> might be lurking under.

I've searched the entire tree for patterns of the form DOSPTYP, \b0xa5\b,
and \b167\b (which is why I initially missed the "BSDPART = 0xA5" buried
in arch/i386/stand/lib/crt/bootblocks/start_bootsect.S ... :-( )
Maybe I just missed one -- I'll do it again tomorrow and look more
carefully.

Thanks.

Duncan