Subject: Re: NetBSD and FreeBSD co-existing
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/1997 21:52:57
Jonathan Stone writes:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:18:03 -0400, Perry Metzger writes:
>
> >disklabel does not touch the MBR. Doesn't know about the MBR. Has no
> >consciousness of the MBR.
>
> Hi Perry,
>
> That turns out not to be the case.
>
> UTSL. Try 'egrep 'dos|mbr' /usr/src/sbin/disklabel/disklabel.c,
> Or look at the parts inside #ifdef __i386__.

Oh, THAT.

That stuff only uses the MBR to find the NetBSD partition on the raw
disk or to totally wipe it out (if there is no NetBSD partition) it
doesn't usually touch it in any way. I don't believe I've ever even
seen the wipeout code invoked! You have to fuck the machine pretty
badly to have that happen -- or try to label a disk you haven't used
fdisk on first!

However, disklabel has nothing to do with altering the contents of the
MBR -- it doesn't set MBR partition sizes or types, ever. It knows
nothing about such stuff.

Perry