Subject: Re: mounting non-BSD partitions.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/1997 17:45:19
[snip]

   > Its not perfect, but its better than what we have now, and its
   > reasonably compatible with FreeBSD's notation which isn't any worse
   > than any other notation we could use.

   what does a second SCSI host look like under NetBSD??  if sd0a is root on SCSI
   ID 0 and sd1a is root for SCSI ID 1 what would the root of SCSI ID 0 on a
   second SCSI host look like?

[snip]

That isn't quite accurate, unless you have wired your kernel that way.  If you
have something like:

	sd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?

And this is the only 'sd' line there, then sd0 is the first SCSI disk found,
sd1 is the second SCSI disk found, etc....  The SCSI id type information is
not retained in the 'sd' name.

Drives on the second and beyond controllers simply follow along.  My sd3 is
the first disk on my second controller.

[This all reminds me of something a Comp. Sci. professor said to me, once.  It
went something like:

Everything in our universe has four names.

	The name of Something.
	What It is called.
	The name of what It is called.
	It.