Subject: Re: FreeBSD emulation
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: None <ronald@demon.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/1997 18:49:32
> Possible, but unclear. There is an outstanding issue, which is that
> the ATAPI code apparently should really share most of its subsystem
> with the SCSI code, and operate as a SCSI translation layer, and this
> work has not been performed yet. At the very least, though, there will
> probably be a well supported set of ATAPI patches for 1.3

<HERESY>

Given the distance between where we are and where we'd like to be with
the more generic solution, is there really a problem with rolling
the MD solution into the release so that the functionality for
a very common piece of hardware is available in the release, on the
understanding that as and when it ever becomes a hindrance in -current,
it just gets cut out again ?

</HERESY>

Besides, the SCSI translation  thing still might not happen, might it
?  IIRC, even Jason was starting to be less convinced the last time
this was discussed :-)
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@demon.net> Voice: +44 181 371 1000 Fax: +44 181 371 1150