Subject: Re: dosboot.com
To: None <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/1997 18:07:49
>From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
>
>Sorry if this has been covered already; I don't read port-i386:
>
>I'm trying to get dosboot.com to work, and having some difficulties.
>Can anybody tell me what needs to be done to get it to load a fairly
>large kernel?  I'm assuming that it needs to use more than the base
>640K of memory, since we don't particularly have kernels that small.
>When dosboot starts up, it prints out a message that looks kind of
>like, "640K/0K" -- I take this to mean that it doesn't have any
>extended memory available.  This strikes me as a bad thing, but I
>could easily be wrong.
>
>The symptoms I'm seeing are these:  When I try to boot my custom
>ramdisk kernel, the machine resets.  When I try to boot a generic
>kernel compiled from yesterday's sources, it gets as far as
>identifying mainbus0, and then it hangs.

You need to make sure you have plenty of high memory available via the
INT 15 interface.  You can either boot without HIMEM.SYS or specify
HIMEM.SYS /INT15=xxxx in CONFIG.SYS.  The latter is non-optimal
because NetBSD will only see memory reserved for INT15, and most DOS
programs will not see INT15 memory.

This message may refer to a product containing software developed by
Christopher G. Demetriou for the NetBSD Project.