Subject: dosboot.com
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/1997 15:26:15
Sorry if this has been covered already; I don't read port-i386:

I'm trying to get dosboot.com to work, and having some difficulties.
Can anybody tell me what needs to be done to get it to load a fairly
large kernel?  I'm assuming that it needs to use more than the base
640K of memory, since we don't particularly have kernels that small.
When dosboot starts up, it prints out a message that looks kind of
like, "640K/0K" -- I take this to mean that it doesn't have any
extended memory available.  This strikes me as a bad thing, but I
could easily be wrong.

The symptoms I'm seeing are these:  When I try to boot my custom
ramdisk kernel, the machine resets.  When I try to boot a generic
kernel compiled from yesterday's sources, it gets as far as
identifying mainbus0, and then it hangs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Chris Jones                                    cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu
           Mad scientist in training...