Subject: Re: How to use kgdb ?
To: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/1997 13:18:46
Hi Manuel,
Did you compile your kernel with the full symbol table turned on (options
DEBUG="-g")?  If I remember correctly, that makes a seperate (large)
binary with all the symbols in it that you can use when debugging.

Hope this helps,
		Rick

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Manuel BOUYER wrote:

> Hello,
> my 486 server running an old verion old -current (NetBSD-1.2E) sometimes
> crashes with generally a "panic: trap" message.
> I get a core-dump. When runnning kgdb on it I can't get any usefull info:
>
> antioche:/home/bouyer>gdb -k netbsd.gdb netbsd.1.crash
> GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
>  under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
>  There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
>  GDB 4.11 (i386-netbsd), Copyright 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
>  panic: trap
>  #0  0xf9f15e44 in end ()
>  (kgdb) bt
>  #0  0xf9f15e44 in end ()
>  #1  0xf866d400 in end ()
>  #2  0xf9f14000 in end ()
>  Cannot access memory at address 0x100.
>
> Any idea on how I could get mode usefull infos ?
> I don't want do include the in-kernel debugger, because it is my ppp server,
> and usually crashes when I'm not here (do you know murphy's law ? :).
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.                 bouyer@masi.ibp.fr
> --

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/