Subject: NetBSD installation
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric Ogren <pitlord@ziplink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/1997 16:30:01
 Hi all.

  I'm fairly new to this list, so sorry about asking the (probably often
heard) questions.

  I've used FreeBSD + Linux for a while now, but, because of my curiosity,
I was wondering what NetBSD was like. I tried to install NetBSD a while
ago, but didn't get around to finishing, and then my HD died, which put a
damper on my efforts.
  Anyways, I went to check out the new snapshot,, happy to see the one
boot disk. However, the thing which bugged me last time I installed NetBSD
was still there;
  You can't install off of an MSDOS partition! The INSTALL.i386 for the
snapshot still had the "Load_fd", "Extract", etcetc for floppy disks, but
nothing for harddrives.
  Last time, I tried to mount my local harddrive but mount complained, and
I believe it was because the msdos FS wasn't compiled into the install
kernel or something of the sort.
  Now, since I'm not particularly eager to start repartitioning again, has
this been fixed, or is there a way to make netbsd install from a seperate
partition? I found it pretty annoying to have to find 6 or however many
disks.
  also, is pppd included in the "base" package, and compiled into the
kernel? I can't remember if it was installed or not last time, so I was
just wondering. Just needing to install the kern,base, and etc sets, and
then being able to FTP the rest wouldn't be so bad.

  I think that's it for now.
  Thanks,
  Eric Ogren