Subject: Re: Weird Ethernet problem w/ new box
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/1997 10:14:26
On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Martin Husemann wrote:

> > I tried a different board, and it seems fine. Unfortunately I've lost the
> > receipt for the sick one. :-(
>
> This may not be related, but I've seen NE2000 clones which won't work in
> any way under any OS before they have met their DOS config utility.
> (I happend to return the fourth card in series to the dealer before we
> actually considered this, the card's had a jumper selecting two predefined
> and one software setting - but they won't use any of the predefined settings
> before the DOS utility initialized them. I would stay away from such products,
> but it was a customer...)

I'll keep that in mind. In this case, though, I'd run the vendor's utility
a few times. :-)

As it seems the "sick" one is happy as a clam at work (in a 486/33), I
think the problem was that the ISA bus in the home machine was running too
fast.

Jukka Martin noted that a fast computer could swamp a slow CPU/card. True.
But in this case, I think it's the bus as 1) I got time out errors, not
overruns, and 2) with the good card I got 200 kB/sec transfer from my mac
IIsi, and with the "cheep" one at work, I got 450 kB/sec from a Linux box.

Thanks for the help!

Take care,

Bill