Subject: Re: Weird Ethernet problem w/ new box
To: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/1997 10:07:33
On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Manuel BOUYER wrote:

> > Also, every now and then, when the BIOS fires up, it hangs right after
> > probing the disk drives. It's trying to say something like "Automatically
> > A??? 0: Master OK" I think the A?? is activating, or some such.

Actually, it's "Autoconfiguring Adapter 0 Master OK". There's a colon in
there around "Master" somewhere.

> > So I guess I have two questions, possably interrelated. Any ideas on the
> > ethernet card, and could my BIOS be choking on the Cyrix? There's a
> > flashrom update for this board to an AWARD PnP BIOS (from April 1996), but
> > I'd rather not add PnP if I don't have to...
> >

> Upgrade your bios if you can. It is possible that it tries to configure
> your processor as a pentium, ending up in a non-working caches configuration.
> PnP isn't a problem if you don't have any ISA PnP cards (or can disable
> PnP on them).

I'm working on the BIOS upgrade as I think it's really part of the
problem. I should have a new rom in there tonight.

I've now got a new problem. I put in an ASANTE ethernet card (which is
more NE2000-compatable than the cheepie), and it works. I have partitioned
the hard disk (an IDE), and installed base, etc, and comp (all 12D). I
also installed the bootblocks by hand as I ran into the disklabel needing
a -w problem Bob Nestor mentioned in the Connectix thread.

The kern12D kernel boots fine, but then init dies on a signal 0, exit 1
panic.

I tried compiling my own kernel by booting the 12D install and getting all
the compilers fired up. It's from source more recent than 12D, but it too
crashes with the same error (Init died).

Any thoughts? Oh, all the device special files are there.

Take care,

Bill