Subject: Re: Weird Ethernet problem w/ new box
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/15/1997 20:56:41
On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> ...I've also got a NE2000 "compatable" ethernet card, which is the problem.
> ...But every time I try to ftp over the .tar.gz files from my
> Mac IIsi, I get device timeouts on the ethernet card.
>
> The card's configured to run jumperless, and I've tried 280 and 300 as
> base I/O addresses. For 300, it comes up as ed2, 300 base, IRQ 10. For
> 280, it comes up as ed0, 280 base, IRQ 9 (the install doc says it should
> be IRQ 2??).

IRQ 2 and IRQ 9 are the same thing. The `device timeout' messages
frequently mean that the IRQ that the card is configured for is
not the same as the IRQ the kernel expects. When you configured
the address of the card, did you configure the IRQ to match as
well?

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'