Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2 slays Connectix VirtualPC emulator, film at 11
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/12/1997 20:51:49

> On Wed, Jun 11, 1997 at 05:42:33PM -0500, Bob Nestor wrote:
> > 1) Floppy support was a little touchy. Some NetBSD disks were difficult
> > to read.
>
> We have always had problems reading NetBSD and MS-DOS floppies on real
> i386 hardware as well.  Sometimes it takes _many_ floppy drives to
> get NetBSD installed on  anew system because the FS floppy just can't
> be read (yeah, tried writing it on several machines).  I can't believe
> the pc floppy drives are _that_ bad - is there some room for improvement
> in the floppy driver, perhaps?

I've heard Jesus Monroy has written a floppy driver that works with
386BSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, Minix, NT, and ZX-81 BASIC.
Maybe someone should look around for it and try that :-)

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom