Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2 slays Connectix VirtualPC emulator, film at 11
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/12/1997 07:58:26
On Wed, Jun 11, 1997 at 05:42:33PM -0500, Bob Nestor wrote:
> 1) Floppy support was a little touchy. Some NetBSD disks were difficult
> to read.

We have always had problems reading NetBSD and MS-DOS floppies on real
i386 hardware as well.  Sometimes it takes _many_ floppy drives to
get NetBSD installed on  anew system because the FS floppy just can't
be read (yeah, tried writing it on several machines).  I can't believe
the pc floppy drives are _that_ bad - is there some room for improvement
in the floppy driver, perhaps?

> Can't say that it ran lightening fast or even anywhere near the speed of
> NetBSD/mac68k on my old Mac, but it was a real hoot to see NetBSD up and
> running on my PowerMac.

Well, emulation that good brings only one thing into my mind: I wish I
could run windoze and nt under NetBSD :-I  I just received another
pentium which I'll have to devote to running '95 - how I wish I could
run those applications under my favourite OS :-(  (Yes, I know WINE,
but it can't run any of the applications I need (Power-Logic, Power-PCB,
Minato device programmer)).

Nice to know that macs can do all that now, tho.

  -jm