Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2 slays Connectix VirtualPC emulator, film at 11
To: Sean Witham <Sean.Witham@asa.co.uk>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/11/1997 15:45:57
> On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Greg Earle wrote:
>
> > Thought this might amuse some folks ...
> >
> > Connectix (think QuickCams, think RAM Doubler, Speed Doubler etc.) is
> > coming out with a "Virtual PC emulator" that's supposed to emulate an
> > entire (BIOS and all) Pentium PC in software on a PowerMac running MacOS.
> >

> Hmm seems a bit ill timed as mac os is being replaced with rhapsody in
> January.

Not replaced - Apple is continuing through System 8 and System 9 alongside
Rhapsody.  System 7/8/9 apps will run faster than full speed (due to
non-native toolbox calls being mapped to native Rhapsody code) within
Rhapsody, so VPC should be fine there.  And I'm sure Connectix designed
VPC to be at least portable enough to transition to a new OS without
undue effort, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had a Rhapsody-native
VPC ready when Rhapsody comes out.

You know what I want to see?  I want to see OpenStep/Intel running inside
VPC running inside the compatability box running on Rhapsody. ;)

--
Nathan Raymond
nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu