Subject: Re: Crash
To: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/10/1997 18:37:49
On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Tom T. Thai wrote:

> I'll wait 'til the next snap coming (right perry?) and will upgrade.
> What is the best procedure to do this with minimum down time?
>
> am I missing anything here? If I tar --unlink the ball, how would the old
> (running) kernel have problems with the new bins?

Since it's such a big jump, I would think you'd have a lot of problems.
If you've got a spare drive, you can install to it and just swap SCSI ID's
(or IDE master/slave) and reboot.  This is how I went from 1.2 to 1.2.1 on
our main system.  It went pretty smoothly except for some things I
overlooked.  You might have to compile the kernel on another machine or
use the generic kernel.  You could even do it with just swapping
partitions if you have any free partitions.

Rick

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/